Join/Renew for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Nothing has been viewed
Photo by: Kathryn Barnard
This is indeed an entree to be grateful for. The porcini mushrooms lend a hearty, rich flavor to the robust filling, which in turn provides a lovely contrast to the soft, sweet squash. The forbidden rice has a delectable nutty flavor and lovely stickiness that is key to this dish. Bon appétit!
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Begin by halving the squashes and scooping out their seeds. Place 1 teaspoon of the coconut oil in the center of each acorn half, and spread it to coat the inner surfaces. Cover each half with aluminum foil and bake for about 2 hours (depending on the size of your squash), or until the squash is tender when pierced with a fork.
3. While the squash cooks, in a medium saucepan, bring 2 cups of the water to a boil with the salt. Add the rice, reduce the heat, and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes, or until the rice is tender and all the water has been absorbed. Remove from the heat and set aside.
4. While the rice cooks, begin making the filling. In a very large sauté pan, add the onions, remaining 1 cup water, bouillon cubes, and garlic, and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to a simmer, then add the reserved rice, tomatoes, beans, and mushrooms. Cover the pan and continue to simmer on low heat for 1½ hours, or until the mixture resembles a thick stew. Divide the filling among the piping-hot acorn squash halves. Garnish each half with a sprinkling of parsley. Bellissimo!
Nutritional information is based on 8 servings.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members save 15% all day, every day when dining at participating Denny's restaurants.
Members get a FREE Donut with purchase of a L or XL beverage at Dunkin' Donuts.
Members can locate discounts via the AARP® Member Advantages Offer Finder mobile app.
Join or renew today! Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change.