Join/Renew for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Serve this light-as-air cake with your favorite summer berries
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Sift the flour and confectioner's sugar together.
2. Beat the egg whites and cream of tartar in a large bowl with an electric mixer on high speed until soft peaks form. One tablespoon at a time, beat in the superfine sugar until shiny, stiff peaks form. In three additions, sift in the flour mixture, gently folding in each addition with a large rubber spatula. Fold in the vanilla. Spoon into a 10in (25cm) tube cake pan with a removable bottom and gently smooth the top.
3. Bake about 40 minutes, until the top is golden brown and springs back when pressed.
4. Invert the cake pan on a work surface. (The cake should clear the work surface'if not, perch the cake pan on custard cups.) Cool completely. Run a long, dull knife around the inside of the pan. Remove the sides of the pan. Pull the bottom of the cake away from tube section and transfer, upside down, to a serving platter.
5. To make the topping, whip the cream and confectioner's sugar until soft peaks form. Spoon over the cake. Cut into slices and serve with the berries. The cake is best served the day it is baked, and is good with any combination of fresh fruit.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
Nutritional information is based on 12 servings and does not include fruit for serving.
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members save 15% every day when dining at participating Denny's restaurants.
Members save 15% Mon-Thurs & during weekend lunch at Outback Steakhouse.
Members save 10% every day when dining at McCormick and Schmick's.
Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change. Join Today