Join/Renew for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Nothing has been viewed
This dish, prepared by Armenians who settled in Turkey, became our favorite snack on our many visits to Turkey. The recipe comes from Vartouhi Papazian, an Armenian from Greece.
1. In a large bowl, combine the yeast, sugar, and water and let stand until foamy, about 5 minutes. Stir in 2 tablespoons of the oil and the salt.
2. Add 3¼ cups of flour, 1 cup at a time, mixing well after each addition with a wooden spoon. Transfer the dough to a work surface. Coat your hands with some of the remaining oil and knead the dough until it is completely smooth and elastic, adding just enough of the remaining flour to prevent sticking.
3. Shape the dough into a ball and place it in a large bowl. Drizzle with the rest of the oil and turn to coat. Coat with a linen or cotton (not terry cloth) kitchen towel and let rise in a warm, draft-free place until doubled in bulk, about 1 to 1½ hours.
4. Meanwhile, make the topping in another large bowl, combine all the topping ingredients and mix well.
5. After the dough has risen, divide the dough into eight equal pieces and shape each one into a ball. Place the balls on a floured surface and let rest, covered with a towel, for about 10 minutes.
6. Preheat the oven to 450°F. Lightly oil two large baking sheets.
7. On a floured surface with a floured rolling pin, roll out each piece of dough into a round about 4 inches in diameter. Divide the topping into eight parts and spread over the entire surface of each circle.
8. Arrange the lachmanjuns on the prepared baking sheets and bake in the lower third of the oven until the topping and the dough are nicely browned, about 15 minutes.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
Nutritional information is based on 1/8 teaspoon added salt per serving.
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members save 15% all day, every day when dining at participating Denny's restaurants.
Members get a FREE Donut with purchase of a L or XL beverage at Dunkin' Donuts.
Members can locate discounts via the AARP® Member Advantages Offer Finder mobile app.
Join or renew today! Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change.