Join/Renew for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Nothing has been viewed
Photo by: Joseph De Leo
There is no cuisine more alive to the delicious possibilities of vegetables than Indian. Because so many Hindus are vegetarians, they have found ways to prepare vegetables that are extraordinary. The selection used here is quite typical of those found in local markets in India. (In Agra there is a small market where all the vegetables are arranged according to color.) Honey mellows any harshness the spices may impart and makes this curry completely delicious.
1. Heat the olive oil in a large heavy pot over medium-low heat. Add the onions and leek and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 10 to 15 minutes. Add the garlic and ginger and cook over very low heat until the flavors are blended, about 3 minutes. Add the curry powder and cook, stirring, until the curry aroma permeates the kitchen, another 2 minutes.
2. Add the carrots, potatoes, squash, cauliflower, fennel, and green beans. Stir in the broth, honey, cloves, and cinnamon stick, raise the heat to high, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, until the vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes. Then add the chickpeas and simmer, stirring once or twice, to blend the flavors, another 10 minutes.
3. Shortly before serving, stir in the cilantro and remove the cinnamon stick and cloves. Sprinkle with the chopped mint and serve.
Nutritional information is based on 8 servings, but does not include Vegetable Broth or Basic Chicken Broth. For nutritional information on Vegetable Broth or Basic Chicken Broth, please follow the links above.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members save 15% all day, every day when dining at participating Denny's restaurants.
Members get a FREE Donut with purchase of a L or XL beverage at Dunkin' Donuts.
Members can locate discounts via the AARP® Member Advantages Offer Finder mobile app.
Join or renew today! Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change.