Join/Renew for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Photo by: Joseph De Leo
Medias appeared in Aleppo courtesy of Spanish Jews who arrived in the Ottoman lands after Ferdinand and Isabella’s Edict of Expulsion. The word media is Spanish for “half.” The artichokes in this recipe are split in half length wise, filled with meat, and then cooked.
1. Cut the artichokes in half length wise, remove the hairy choke, and trim 1 inch of bracts (leaves) from the top.
2. To make the filling, combine the beef, 1 egg, allspice, and salt in a medium mixing bowl and mix well. Fill the cavity of each artichoke with the filling.
3. Put the remaining egg in a shallow dish and beat it; put the matzoh meal in another. Dip each artichoke in egg and then dredge in the matzah meal.
4. Heat the vegetable oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Fry the artichokes, filling-side down, for 2 minutes, or until the breading is golden brown. Place the artichokes in a large skillet in a single layer. Do not stack.
5. To make the sauce, combine the tomato sauce, lemon juice, sugar, salt, and 1 cup water. Mix well.
6. Drizzle the olive oil into a medium ovenproof saucepan. Place the fried artichokes in the saucepan, filling-side up. Sprinkle the artichokes with salt. Cook over medium heat for 3 minutes, or until the artichokes begin to sweat. Pour the sauce over the artichokes. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes, or until the artichoke hearts are fork-tender.
Nutritional information is based on 10 servings.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members save 15% every day when dining at participating Denny's restaurants.
Members save 15% Mon-Thurs & during weekend lunch at Outback Steakhouse.
Members save 10% every day when dining at McCormick and Schmick's.
Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change. Join Today