Join/Renew for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Nothing has been viewed
Photo by: Joseph DeLeo
This relish is a close cousin to guacamole, made tarter and lighter by the inclusion of tomatillos. Their berrylike acidity adds a fresh note that makes the salsa especially good with cheese dishes like queso fundido or quesadillas, as well as on grilled seafood or pork. Doubled or tripled, it can be served just like guacamole, with tortilla chips for scooping. For convenience, the tomatillo seasoning puree can be prepared up to an hour in advance, but the salsa should be finished no more than a few minutes before serving.
1. Set a small saucepan of water over high heat and bring to a boil. Add the tomatillos and cook until tender, about 10 minutes. Drain and cool.
2. In a small food processor, combine the tomatillos, cilantro, serrano, and green onion. Process until fairly smooth.
3. Halve the avocado and remove the pit. With a large spoon, scoop the flesh into a bowl. With a fork, roughly mash the avocado. Stir in the tomatillo mixture and the salt.
4. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and hold at room temperature for no more than 30 minutes before using.
Nutritional information is based on 4 servings.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members save 15% all day, every day when dining at participating Denny's restaurants.
Members get a FREE Donut with purchase of a L or XL beverage at Dunkin' Donuts.
Members can locate discounts via the AARP® Member Advantages Offer Finder mobile app.
Join or renew today! Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change.