Join/Renew for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Photo by: Joseph De Leo
My mother and I collaborated on the invention of these homey and delicious dumplings for a dinner party featuring Greek Stifado.
1. Cook the barley according to package directions until very tender. Drain and chill in the refrigerator at least 3 hours.
2. Put the chilled barley in a food processor and process until smooth. Add the egg yolk, Monterey Jack, ¼ cup of the Parmesan, and 1/3 cup of the flour; process just until mixed. Transfer the mixture to a bowl and stir in the grape leaves, salt, and pepper.
3. Beat the egg whites until stiff, but not dry. Gently fold into the barley mixture along with another 1/3 cup of flour.
4. Line a baking sheet with waxed paper. Place the remaining flour in a shallow dish. Using 2 spoons, shape about 2 heaping tablespoons of the barley dough into a small football shape, drop it into the flour, and coat it lightly. Transfer to the lined baking sheet and repeat the process until all the dough has been used.
5. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Drop 6 to 8 dumplings at a time into the water and cook until they float to the top, about 1 minute. Remove the dumplings from the pot with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. When all the dumplings have been cooked, arrange them in a single layer in an ovenproof baking dish. Drizzle with the melted butter and sprinkle with the remaining Parmesan cheese. (The dumplings may be prepared up to this point and refrigerated 1 to 2 days before baking.)
6. Preheat the oven to 375°F.
7. Bake the dumplings until they are puffed and light golden brown, 25 to 30 minutes. Sprinkle with the parsley and serve at once.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
This recipe serves 8. Nutritional information includes 1/8 teaspoon of added salt per serving.
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members save 15% every day when dining at participating Denny's restaurants.
Members save 15% Mon-Thurs & during weekend lunch at Outback Steakhouse.
Members save 10% every day when dining at McCormick and Schmick's.
Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change. Join Today