This is a good light base sauce for pizza because it is just the right thickness, and its flavorings will not overwhelm other toppings.
Yield: 3 cups (enough for two 12-inch pizzas)
- 1 can (28 ounces) Italian-style tomato puree
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano or marjoram
- 4 fresh basil leaves or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 bay leaf
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Place all the ingredients in a 3-quart saucepan. Cover and bring to a boil. Uncover, lower the heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 30 minutes.
© 1989 Julee Rosso and Sheila Lukins
This sauce may be made ahead and frozen.
Nutritional information is based on 6 servings.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
35mcg RAE (1%)