Join/Renew for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Nothing has been viewed
Photo by: Joseph De Leo
Bonnie’s sister Meredith Spangenberg inspired this hearty soup, a favorite at her annual winter soup party.
1. Heat the oil in a 4-quart stock pot or saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onions and garlic and cook over medium heat until the onions begin to caramelize, about 10 minutes. Add the celery and carrots; cook until vegetables soften, about 5 minutes. Push the vegetables to one side of the pot, add the beef, and brown both sides 3 to 5 minutes.
2. Add the water, ½ cup parsley, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce to low, cover, and simmer until the beef is tender, at least 1 hour. Remove the beef and let cool. Remove the meat from the bone and the marrow from inside the bone, chop into bite-size pieces, and return to the pot along with the barley.
3. Cook, covered, for 45 minutes or until barley is tender. Taste and adjust seasoning. Serve sprinkled with the remaining parsley.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
This recipe serves 10 and includes 1/8 teaspoon of added salt per serving.
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members save 15% all day, every day when dining at participating Denny's restaurants.
Members get a FREE Donut with purchase of a L or XL beverage at Dunkin' Donuts.
Members can locate discounts via the AARP® Member Advantages Offer Finder mobile app.
Join or renew today! Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change.