Join/Renew for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Photo by: Joseph De Leo
A basket of warm cornbread would make a good accompaniment for this south-of-the-border salad. Choose long-grain white rice for a striking color contrast or brown rice to add a slightly nutty flavor to the dish.
1. In a small bowl, whisk together the lime zest, lime juice, vinegar, orange juice, garlic, brown sugar, chili powder, salt, and cayenne. Whisk in the oil in a slow, steady stream until emulsified and smooth. Set aside.
2. Peel and pit the avocados, cut into ½-inch dice, and toss with the lemon juice.
3. In a large bowl, combine the rice, beans, onion, chiles, and avocados. Add the dressing and toss gently to combine. Line plates or shallow bowls with lettuce leaves and top with the salad. Garnish with the cherry tomatoes and serve.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)