Join or Renew and Choose Your Gift
- Offer ends Dec. 17
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Photo by: Joseph De Leo
My idea of a perfect lunch on a snowy afternoon is a big bowl of spicy black bean soup accompanied by a couple thick slices of banana bread.
1. Cook the bacon in a large stockpot over medium-high heat until it begins to crisp. Remove it with a slotted spoon and set aside to drain on paper towels.
2. Add the onion, garlic, carrots, and celery to the bacon fat in the pot; sauté, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes. Stir in the jalapeños and cook 5 minutes more. Stir in the cumin and oregano.
3. Rinse and drain the black beans and add to the stockpot. Cover with 3½ quarts chicken broth. Simmer uncovered until the beans are very tender and beginning to fall apart, about 2 hours. Thin with additional broth if the mixture seems to be getting too thick.
4. Stir in the lime juice, and sherry, and reserved bacon. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Just before serving, swirl in the cilantro. Serve piping hot in bowls garnished with a dollop of sour cream.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
This recipe serves 10. Nutritional information includes 1 teaspoon of added salt, but does not include Sour Cream for garnish.
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members can download new coupon offers available monthly from Kellogg's.
Members can get a FREE Donut with purchase of a L or XL beverage at Dunkin' Donuts.
Members save 20% on Wednesdays when dining at Carrabba's Italian Grill.
Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change. Join Today