Photo by: Joseph De Leo
Use this spicy spread for nachos or in a quesadilla, as well as for a dip.
Yield: About 2 cups
- 2 cups cooked black beans
- ½ cup water or bean broth
- 1 tablespoon sunflower or safflower oil
- ¼ cup sliced scallion, including some of the greens
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon pureed chipotle chile or ½ teaspoon cayenne
- Juice of 2 or 3 limes
© 1997 Deborah Madison
Warm the beans in the water. Heat the oil in a small skillet. Add the scallion and spices and cook over medium heat until tender, about 10 minutes. Stir in the cilantro and turn off the heat.
Coarsely puree the beans, scallion mixture, and chile in a food processor. Taste; if you want it hotter, add more chile in small increments. Add lime juice and salt to sharpen the flavors.
Nutritional information is based on 16 servings and includes 1/2 teaspoon of added salt.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
2mcg RAE (0%)