Join/Renew for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Photo by: Joseph DeLeo
Tart fruit is a welcome surprise in savory dishes-especially this one, where the nicely pungent accent from the toasted walnuts rounds it all out. The result is surprisingly balanced and smooth.
To braise is to cook in liquid. It’s a process that’s similar to steaming, only the liquid is in contact with the food it is cooking, so it goes a little faster. Also, if the liquid is flavorful, that adds to the dish. For that reason, we strongly recommend using the vegetable broth option. The oil comes at the end, as a seasoning. Use a good, fruity, extra-virgin olive oil or an aromatic nut or seed oil (such as walnut oil or roasted pumpkinseed oil), which makes this dish absolutely delicious.
1. Heat the broth or water in a medium-large skillet with a tight-fitting lid.
2. Add the greens and sprinkle them very lightly with salt. Cover the pan and cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes, or until the greens wilt. (Check the level of broth or water after about 2 minutes, to be sure there’s enough liquid to prevent sticking or burning.)
3. Transfer to a serving dish, and toss with the oil and cherries. Serve hot or warm, topped with the walnuts.
A mixture of collards, mustard greens, and kale is particularly good, but you can also make this with spinach, escarole, beet greens, dandelion greens-just about any dark leaf
You can also use a “braising mix” sold in bulk in many produce departments, and also increasingly available packaged.
The amount of greens called for might seem enormous, but don’t forget they will cook down dramatically.
Protein: 6 g / Saturated Fat: 1 g /
Polyunsaturated Fat: 4 g /
Monounsaturated Fat: 5 g /
Dietary Fiber: 4 g / Calories: 174
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members save 15% every day when dining at participating Denny's restaurants.
Members save 15% Mon-Thurs & during weekend lunch at Outback Steakhouse.
Members save 10% every day when dining at McCormick and Schmick's.
Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change. Join Today