Join/Renew for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Beef doesn’t have a corner on the pot roast market. This braised pork roast is smothered in sweet-and-sour red cabbage and simmered to juicy tenderness.
Prep: Chop onion. Cut cabbage into quarters; cut out core. Thinly slice cabbage crosswise.
1. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in Dutch oven or covered flameproof casserole over mediumhigh heat. Mix thyme, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper and rub over pork. Add pork to pot and cook, turning occasionally, until browned on all sides, about 8 minutes. Transfer pork to plate.
2. Heat remaining tablespoon oil in pot and add onion. Reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion softens, about 3 minutes. In batches if necessary, add cabbage to pot, sprinkling it with balsamic vinegar. Stir in jelly and ½ cup water. Bury pork in cabbage. Reduce heat to medium-low and cover.
3. Simmer until cabbage is tender and meat thermometer inserted in center of roast reads 150°F, about 1¼ hours. Season cabbage with salt and pepper to taste. Remove pork from pot and cover cabbage to keep warm. Let pork stand 10 minutes. Carve and serve hot, with the noodles.
Dressing Braised Pork Pot Roast and Red Cabbage Up: Add one 15-ounce jar vacuum-packed chestnuts, coarsely chopped, to the cabbage during the last 10 minutes of cooking.
Red cabbage turns an odd color unless it is cooked with an acid. In this recipe, balsamic vinegar plays this role. Use a moderately priced brand, not the aged, artisan variety.
Nutritional information does not include salt and pepper to taste or hot cooked noodles, for serving.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members save 15% every day when dining at participating Denny's restaurants.
Members save 15% Mon-Thurs & during weekend lunch at Outback Steakhouse.
Members save 10% every day when dining at McCormick and Schmick's.
Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change. Join Today