Join for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Members can print a free Rx discount card
Thanks to the veterans who served our country
Let us know how the new health care law helps you
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Photo by: Joseph De Leo
When summer’s vegetables dwindle, keep in mind that cooked cabbage makes a welcome addition to the autumn and winter repertoire. Red cabbage, in particular, always adds a deep burst of color to the often muted shades of cold-weather cooking. This preparation pairs beautifully with pork and game dishes.
1. Cook the bacon in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat until crisp. Remove the bacon to drain on paper towels.
2. Add the mustard seeds to the bacon fat in the skillet. As soon as you begin to hear them pop, add the onion and apples to the pan. Sauté 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in the brown sugar and vinegar and cook a minute or so to dissolve the sugar.
3. Add the cabbage to the skillet and stir to combine with the onion-apple mixture. Stir in the wine and the mustard. Simmer uncovered over medium heat, stirring occasionally, just until the cabbage is tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Add the bacon to the cabbage, season to taste with salt and pepper, then serve at once.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
This recipe serves 8. Nutritional information includes 1/8 teaspoon of added salt per serving.
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members receive 20% off from 4 p.m. to 10 p.m. at participating Denny’s locations.
Members save 10% on Mondays and 10% on Weekend Lunch at Outback Steakhouse.
Members can save 10% every day at Landry's Restaurants, Inc.
Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change. Join Today