Tofu, cooked beans, bell peppers, salsa, and leftover meat are just a few suggestions that can be combined with eggs and rolled into flour tortillas to create quick and wholesome breakfast burritos
Yield: 4 main-course servings
4 egg whites
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
4 scallions, trimmed and thinly sliced
1 large tomato, cored and diced
1 ripe avocado, peeled, pitted, and diced
¼ cup cilantro, chopped
2 ounces cheddar cheese, grated or sliced
4 whole-grain flour tortillas
1. Whisk the eggs and egg whites in a large bowl. Season them with kosher salt and black pepper. Set the mixture aside for a moment.
2. Heat the butter in a large, nonstick skillet over medium heat. When it stops foaming, add the scallions and cook them for 30 seconds. Add the tomato, avocado, and cilantro and cook the ingredients for another minute, stirring often.
3. Add the eggs. When soft curds form, lift them away from the sides with a large spoon and tilt the pan so that the undercooked eggs can flow to the bottom. Continue cooking the eggs in this manner until they are firm but the top is still moist. Remove the pan from the heat.
4. Divide the cheese among the tortillas. Microwave each until the cheese melts and the tortillas are warm, approximately 30 seconds.
5. Divide the tortillas among 4 plates. Divide the eggs among the tortillas. Fold in the sides and then roll each tortilla up from the bottom to enclose the filling completely.
Try not to stir scrambled eggs too often. Frequent stirring will break them into small, dry, and crumbly pieces. Also, we suggest microwaving the tortillas to warm them and melt the cheese. If you don’t have a microwave, preheat the oven to 300°F, divide the cheese among the tortillas, roll them and wrap them in foil, and heat them for 5 minutes.