Join or Renew and Choose Your Gift
- Offer ends Dec. 17
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Photo by: Joseph DeLeo
Beautiful, ripe tomato halves or slices are brushed with a tangy mayonnaise topping, baked, and then broiled right before serving.
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
2. Cut the tomatoes in half crosswise or into 1½-inch-thick slices. Place cut side up in a single layer in an ovenproof baking dish.
3. In a small bowl, stir together the mayonnaise, mustard, parsley, chives, 2 tablespoons of the Parmesan cheese, and salt and pepper to taste.
4. Spoon a heaping teaspoon of the mayonnaise mixture on top of each tomato, spreading to cover the top. Sprinkle the tomatoes with the remaining 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese.
5. Bake until hot, 10 to 12 minutes; the time will depend on the size of the tomato slices or halves. Turn the oven to broil, move the tomatoes to the broiler, and brown until glazed and bubbling.
6. Remove from the oven and garnish with the parsley. Serve immediately.
Advance Preparation: This may be prepared up to 4 hours in advance through step 4 (except for preheating the oven) and refrigerated. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking.
To Peel or Not to Peel:
Cooks are split over whether or not to peel tomatoes. I enjoy their skin when I am eating them raw, but I prefer to peel and seed them before cooking them in sauce. The best way to peel tomatoes is to immerse them in a large pan of boiling water for 10 seconds and remove them immediately. Run cold water over the tomatoes to cool them and then peel them. To seed the tomatoes, cut them in half and carefully squeeze out the seeds and some of the juice. (You may need to ease out the seed sacs with a fingertip or a knife tip.) Or peel, seed, and puree them all at once by running them through a food processor and straining the puree.
Nutritional information includes 1/8 teaspoon of added salt per serving.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members can download new coupon offers available monthly from Kellogg's.
Members can get a FREE Donut with purchase of a L or XL beverage at Dunkin' Donuts.
Members save 20% on Wednesdays when dining at Carrabba's Italian Grill.
Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change. Join Today