Join/Renew for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Nothing has been viewed
Light and fluffy, these American favorites are best served straight from the oven with plenty of butter.
1. Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C). Have an unbuttered 10in (25cm) round cake pan ready.
2. Sift the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a large bowl. Use your fingertips to rub in the butter until the mixture resembles fine crumbs (or cut in the butter with two knives).
3. Add the buttermilk and stir, adding a little more buttermilk if needed, to make a soft dough.
4. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface. Knead once or twice, then gently shape into a rectangle about 1in (2.5cm) thick. Using a 2½ in (6cm) round cookie cutter, cut out the biscuits and place them in the cake pan with the sides of the biscuits touching. Gather up the scraps, knead together gently, and cut out the remaining biscuits, discarding any scraps.
5. Brush the tops with buttermilk. Bake for 15–20 minutes, or until the biscuits are risen and the tops are golden.
Good with plenty of butter and strawberry jam. Another time, use the biscuits to make strawberry shortcakes: Cut each biscuit in half. Top each with lots of sliced, sweetened strawberries and whipped cream.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members save 15% all day, every day when dining at participating Denny's restaurants.
Members get a FREE Donut with purchase of a L or XL beverage at Dunkin' Donuts.
Members can locate discounts via the AARP® Member Advantages Offer Finder mobile app.
Join or renew today! Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change.