Join for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Light and fluffy, these American favorites are best served straight from the oven with plenty of butter.
1. Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C). Have an unbuttered 10in (25cm) round cake pan ready.
2. Sift the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a large bowl. Use your fingertips to rub in the butter until the mixture resembles fine crumbs (or cut in the butter with two knives).
3. Add the buttermilk and stir, adding a little more buttermilk if needed, to make a soft dough.
4. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface. Knead once or twice, then gently shape into a rectangle about 1in (2.5cm) thick. Using a 2½ in (6cm) round cookie cutter, cut out the biscuits and place them in the cake pan with the sides of the biscuits touching. Gather up the scraps, knead together gently, and cut out the remaining biscuits, discarding any scraps.
5. Brush the tops with buttermilk. Bake for 15–20 minutes, or until the biscuits are risen and the tops are golden.
Good with plenty of butter and strawberry jam. Another time, use the biscuits to make strawberry shortcakes: Cut each biscuit in half. Top each with lots of sliced, sweetened strawberries and whipped cream.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members receive 20% off from 4 p.m. to 10 p.m. at participating Denny’s locations.
Members save 10% on Mondays and 10% on Weekend Lunch at Outback Steakhouse.
Members can save 10% every day at Landry's Restaurants, Inc.
Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change. Join Today