Join/Renew for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Nothing has been viewed
Photo by: Colin Erricson
Topped with melted cheese, this creamy and delicious soup is an ideal antidote to a blustery day.
1. In a skillet, heat oil over medium heat for 30 seconds. Add onions and cook, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add garlic, rosemary and peppercorns and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Transfer to slow cooker stoneware. Add broth.
2. Stir in squash and apples. Cover and cook on Low for 8 hours or on High for 4 hours, until squash is tender.
3. Preheat broiler. Working in batches, puree soup in a food processor or blender. (You can also do this in the stoneware using an immersion blender.) Ladle soup into ovenproof bowls. Sprinkle with cheese and broil until cheese melts, about 2 minutes. (You can also do this in a microwave oven, in batches, on High, about 1 minute per batch.) Sprinkle with walnuts, if using.
This soup can be partially prepared the night before it is cooked. Complete Step 1. Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. When you’re ready to cook, continue with the recipe.
Works best in a large (minimum 5 quart) slow cooker
Nutritional information does not include optional walnuts.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members save 15% all day, every day when dining at participating Denny's restaurants.
Members get a FREE Donut with purchase of a L or XL beverage at Dunkin' Donuts.
Members can locate discounts via the AARP® Member Advantages Offer Finder mobile app.
Join or renew today! Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change.