Join or Renew and Choose Your Gift
- Offer ends Dec. 17
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Photo by: Joseph De Leo
This grown-up version of the ultimate comfort dessert, based on one served at Portland’s celebrated Wildwood restaurant, is just right for serving in front of a cozy fire, The touch of Scotch gives the pudding some punch. I like to serve this in old-fashioned parfait glasses.
1. To make the caramel sauce: In a medium heavy saucepan (do not use a dark pan, or you will not be able to see the color of the caramel), combine the sugar and water and cook over low heat to dissolve the sugar. Turn up the heat and continually swirl the pan over the flame for about 5 to 8 minutes, until the mixture turns a dark golden brown. The mixture will be bubbly; if sugar crystals form on the sides of the pan, cover it for 1 minute to dissolve them. Watch carefully, as the caramel can burn easily. Remove the caramel from the heat and let it cool slightly; it should still be liquid.
2. Return the caramel to low heat and add the cream, whisking constantly until smooth. Let cool.
3. In a medium heavy saucepan, combine the brown sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Whisk in the milk, place over medium heat, and stir for about 5 to 6 minutes, or until the mixture becomes very thick. Remove from the heat and stir in the caramel sauce,
4. In a large bowl, whisk the egg yolks together; then slowly add the caramel mixture, whisking constantly, about 3 minutes, Pour back into the saucepan and gently heat the mixture until it easily coats the back of a spoon. Add the butter, Scotch, and vanilla and mix to combine,
5. Pour the pudding into individual glass dessert bowls. Sprinkle evenly with ¼ cup of the chopped toffee. Refrigerate for at least 8 hours.
6. Just before serving, garnish each pudding with a dollop of whipped cream and a sprinkling of the remaining chopped toffee.
The pudding may be made up to 1 day ahead, covered tightly with plastic wrap, and refrigerated.
Nutritional information does not include Whipped Cream for garnish.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members can download new coupon offers available monthly from Kellogg's.
Members can get a FREE Donut with purchase of a L or XL beverage at Dunkin' Donuts.
Members save 20% on Wednesdays when dining at Carrabba's Italian Grill.
Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change. Join Today