Join/Renew for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Photo by: Mark Shapiro
My daughter, Sydney, LOVES these cupcakes. She said, “I love the way the chocolate melts in your mouth and I especially love to dig for the candy bar at the bottom of the cupcake. It’s like finding hidden treasure.”
Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
1. In a small bowl, mix together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together sugar, oil, coffee, egg and vanilla until smooth. Alternately whisk in flour mixture and buttermilk, making three additions of flour mixture and two of buttermilk, beating until smooth. Stir in chopped candy bars.
3. Scoop batter into a muffin pan, lined with paper liners. Bake in preheated oven for 22 to 27 minutes or until tops of cupcakes spring back when lightly touched. Let cool in pan on rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pan and let cool completely on rack. Top cooled cupcakes with frosting.
Variaton: Substitute ½ cup (125 mL) whole candy-coated chocolate pieces, such as M&M’s or Smarties, for the chopped candy bars.
Frosting suggestions: Chocolate Fudge Frosting, Peanut Butter Frosting, or Caramel Frosting.
Leftover Halloween candy bars are perfect for this recipe.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
Nutritional information is based on 1 cupcake per serving and does not include frosting. For nutritional information on frosting, please follow the link above.
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members can download new coupon offers available monthly from Kellogg's.
Members can get a FREE Donut with purchase of a L or XL beverage at Dunkin' Donuts.
Members save 20% on Wednesdays when dining at Carrabba's Italian Grill.
Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change. Join Today