Join or Renew and Choose Your Gift
- Offer ends Dec. 17
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
From Tuscany, these crisp, twice-baked almond cookies are ideal for dipping in glasses of coffee or vin santo after a meal.
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C) and butter one large baking sheet. Whisk the eggs and yolks together in a bowl. Transfer 2 tbsp of the mixture to a small bowl and set aside.
2. Combine the flour, almonds, sugar, baking powder, and orange zest in a large bowl and stir together. Make a well in the center, add the beaten egg mixture, and stir to form a stiff dough.
3. Gather the dough into a ball, then cut in half. On a lightly floured surface, shape each portion into a log about 2in (5cm) wide and 1in (2.5cm) tall. Place the logs well apart on the baking sheet. Flatten them slightly and brush the tops with some of the reserved egg mixture.
4. Bake for 20 minutes or until logs are lightly browned and feel set when pressed in the center. Remove from the oven and increase the temperature to 400°F (200°C).
5. Cool the logs for 10 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board. With a serrated knife held on a slight diagonal, cut into ½ in (1cm) pieces. Return the slices to the baking sheet, flat sides down, and continue baking for 8 minutes more, or until crisp and golden. Cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
Freezing Information: Can be frozen up to 3 months, thaw at room temperature.
Prepare ahead: The dough can be shaped as in step 3, and refrigerated for up to 2 days.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
Nutritional information is based on 32 servings.
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members can download new coupon offers available monthly from Kellogg's.
Members can get a FREE Donut with purchase of a L or XL beverage at Dunkin' Donuts.
Members save 20% on Wednesdays when dining at Carrabba's Italian Grill.
Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change. Join Today