Join/Renew for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Nothing has been viewed
Photo by: Colin Erricson
This robust spread is a treat from Sicily. Serve it on crostini or with crackers, pita bread or crudites such as celery sticks. It keeps, covered, in the refrigerator for up to one week.
1. In a small bowl, combine vinegar and brown sugar. Stir until sugar dissolves. Set aside.
2. In a skillet, heat 2 tbsp (25 mL) of the oil over mediumhigh heat for 30 seconds. Add eggplant, in batches, and cook, stirring and tossing, until it begins to brown, about 3 minutes per batch. Transfer to slow cooker stoneware.
3. In same skillet over medium heat, adding more oil if necessary, cook onion and celery, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, oregano and peppercorns and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add tomatoes, with juice, and balsamic mixture and bring to a boil. Boil for 1 minute to reduce liquid. Transfer to stoneware and stir thoroughly.
4. Cover and cook on Low for 7 to 8 hours or on High for 4 hours, until eggplant is tender. Stir in olives and capers. Transfer to a serving bowl. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight. Garnish with pine nuts and basil, if using.
To cut the basil into chiffonade, stack the leaves, 4 at a time, roll them into a cigar shape and slice as thinly as you can.
Works best in a small (maximum 3½ quart) slow cooker.
You’ll achieve the best results if you make the caponata a day ahead and chill overnight in the refrigerator.
Nutritional information is based on 16 servings.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members save 15% all day, every day when dining at participating Denny's restaurants.
Members get a FREE Donut with purchase of a L or XL beverage at Dunkin' Donuts.
Members can locate discounts via the AARP® Member Advantages Offer Finder mobile app.
Join or renew today! Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change.