Join for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Photo by: Joey DeLeo
Serve this delicious sweet-sour marmalade with any savory dish or with toast and cheese. It also goes well with scrambled eggs or tofu.
1. Place a medium to large skillet over medium heat and wait about 2 minutes. Add the oil and swirl to coat the pan. Add the onion, sauté for 5 minutes, then cover the pan and lower the heat.
2. Cook, covered, for 15 minutes, stirring once or twice during this time. Stir in the salt and vinegar. Cover and cook for another 5 minutes. Stir in the lemon juice and sugar and cook, uncovered, for about 5 more minutes.
3. Remove from the heat, and stir in the lemon zest. Cool to room temperature, then pack into a tightly capped jar. Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 weeks. Serve cold or at room temperature.
Remove the lemon zest before juicing the lemon. It’s easiest to strip the zest with a vegetable peeler and then chop it on a cutting board with a sharp knife.
ONIONS WITHOUT TEARS
Folklore abounds about how to prevent the painful eye irritation caused by sulfurous onion fumes. Some people say it helps to hold the non-striking end of a kitchen match in your teeth, while others believe the trick is to wet your forearms with water. I’ve also heard recommendations to burn a candle to “distract” the sulfur or to leave the root end of the onion intact while cutting the rest of the bulb. These exotic techniques may be effective in some cases, but I’ve got one that I guarantee will work. Just put the peeled onion in the freezer about an hour before you intend to cut it, then cut it in its semifrozen state, using a very sharp knife.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
Nutritional information is based on 16 servings.
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members can get a FREE Donut with purchase of a L or XL beverage at Dunkin’ Donuts.
Members save 10% on Wednesdays when dining at Carrabba’s Italian Grill.
Members can download new coupon offers available monthly from Kellogg's.
Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change. Join Today