Join for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Photo by: Joseph DeLeo
The beguiling flavor of jerk seasoning transforms ordinary white beans and chicken in this easy-to-make chili. You simply sauté some chopped sweet onion, Vidalia if you can find it, and toss in some leftover chicken. It’s up to you how much hot pepper sauce to add at the end, as well as what to use for garnish: chives, cilantro, mango…I get hungry just thinking about it! With the addition of crusty bread and a green salad, you’ve got dinner.
1. Cut the onion in half lengthwise, then cut each half crosswise into thin half-moon slices; you’ll need 1 cup.
2. Place the olive oil in a 4-quart saucepan over medium heat. Add the sliced onion and cook, stirring with a wooden spoon until soft, 3 minutes. Add the chicken and jerk seasoning and cook, stirring, until the chicken is coated with the seasoning, 1 minute longer. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the beans with their liquid and the bouillon cube and hot pepper sauce. Fill one of the bean cans with water, add this to the pan, and stir. Place the pan over high heat until the liquid comes to a boil and the bouillon cube dissolves. Reduce the heat to low, cover the pan, and let the chili simmer for 10 minutes.
3. Add the cream to the chili, if desired, stir, cover, and cook for 2 minutes longer. Ladle the chili into serving bowls and serve garnished with chopped chives, cilantro, and/or diced mango and red bell pepper, if desired.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
Nutritional information does not include optional Garnish.
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members receive 20% off from 4 p.m. to 10 p.m. at participating Denny’s locations.
Members save 10% on Mondays and 10% on Weekend Lunch at Outback Steakhouse.
Members can save 10% every day at Landry's Restaurants, Inc.
Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change. Join Today