To Make the Brownies:
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Oil and flour an 8-inch-square baking pan and set aside.
2. Whisk together the flour, carob powder, baking powder, and salt in a large mixing bowl and set aside.
3. Place the bananas, oil, rice syrup, soymilk, and vanilla in a blender and blend until well mixed. Stir the blended mixture into the dry ingredients and mix well. Fold half the nuts into the batter.
5. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and sprinkle the remaining nuts on top.
6. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the brownies comes out clean. Cool in the pan before cutting into squares and serving.
To Make the Carob Orange Sauce:
1. Place the carob powder in a small saucepan, add the water and mix well. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes while stirring often.
2. Place the arrowroot in a cup, add the orange juice, and stir to dissolve. Add to the carob mixture along with the maple syrup and orange zest. Bring back to a boil while stirring constantly. Reduce the heat to low and simmer about 1 minute or until thickened.
3. Enjoy the sauce hot, warm, or cool. It can be stored in the refrigerator for up to three days, and reheated before using.
• For chocolate brownies, use cocoa powder instead of carob.
• For a sweeter brownie, substitute maple syrup for the rice syrup