Join/Renew for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Photo by: Joseph DeLeo
A carob-loving friend claims these brownies are the best he has ever tasted. They are moist and rich with the perfect amount of sweetness. If you want to go all out, serve them warm from the oven with a scoop of vanilla Soy Delicious or Rice Dream frozen dessert, and a drizzle of Carob Orange Sauce
To Make the Brownies:
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Oil and flour an 8-inch-square baking pan and set aside.
2. Whisk together the flour, carob powder, baking powder, and salt in a large mixing bowl and set aside.
3. Place the bananas, oil, rice syrup, soymilk, and vanilla in a blender and blend until well mixed. Stir the blended mixture into the dry ingredients and mix well. Fold half the nuts into the batter.
5. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and sprinkle the remaining nuts on top.
6. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the brownies comes out clean. Cool in the pan before cutting into squares and serving.
To Make the Carob Orange Sauce:
1. Place the carob powder in a small saucepan, add the water and mix well. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes while stirring often.
2. Place the arrowroot in a cup, add the orange juice, and stir to dissolve. Add to the carob mixture along with the maple syrup and orange zest. Bring back to a boil while stirring constantly. Reduce the heat to low and simmer about 1 minute or until thickened.
3. Enjoy the sauce hot, warm, or cool. It can be stored in the refrigerator for up to three days, and reheated before using.
• For chocolate brownies, use cocoa powder instead of carob.
• For a sweeter brownie, substitute maple syrup for the rice syrup
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
Nutritional information is based on a serving size of one brownie.
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members save 15% every day when dining at participating Denny's restaurants.
Members save 15% Mon-Thurs & during weekend lunch at Outback Steakhouse.
Members save 10% every day when dining at McCormick and Schmick's.
Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change. Join Today