Join/Renew for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Photo by: Joseph De Leo
These days my mother’s signature kugei is one she got from her friend Carol Cohen, the lovely wife of our cantor (both, alas, no longer with us). Made with milk, it’s lighter than most, but it is still devastatingly rich and sweet. The cherry pie filling is, my mother’s idea for a picture-perfect presentation. Mom likes to bake the kugel the day before serving, and then when she’s ready to reheat it, she spreads the cherry pie filling on top.
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 13 × 9 × 2-inch baking pan.
2. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add the noodles and cook until al dente, 5 to 7 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, combine the cream cheese, sour cream, eggs, 2 cups of the milk, the sugar, vanilla, and 1 teaspoon salt in a blender. Blend until smooth. Pour the mixture into a large bowl.
4. When the noodles are done, drain them well and add them to the egg mixture. Stir in the butter, raisins, and remaining 2 cups milk.
5. Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking pan and bake until set, about 1½ hours.
6. Allow the kugel to cool. Then spread the cherry pie filling evenly over the kugel. Cover, and bake until heated through, about 30 minutes.
7. Cut into squares and serve hot.
The kugel can also be frozen for up to 1 month. Thaw, spread with the filling, cover, and bake as directed.
Nutritional information is based on 16 servings, and using 1 teaspoon of butter for greasing the pan.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members save 15% every day when dining at participating Denny's restaurants.
Members save 15% Mon-Thurs & during weekend lunch at Outback Steakhouse.
Members save 10% every day when dining at McCormick and Schmick's.
Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change. Join Today