Join or Renew and Choose Your Gift
- Offer ends Dec. 17
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
A light, refreshing soup with a hint of spice, this is the perfect start to a summer meal. Good with a spoonful of low-fat plain yogurt or a swirl of cream.
1. Combine the carrots, leek, and oil in a large saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring frequently for 5 minutes, or until the leeks have softened. Stir in the potato, coriander, and cumin. Add the stock, orange juice, and bay leaf and stir well.
2. Increase the heat to high and bring to a boil. Return the heat to low and cover. Simmer about 40 minutes, until the vegetables are very tender.
3. Allow the soup to cool slightly, then transfer to a blender or food processor and process until smooth, working in batches if necessary.
4. Let cool slightly. In batches, purèe in a blender with the lid ajar. Return to the saucepan and season with salt and pepper. If the soup is too thick, thin with a little water. Ladle into soup bowls, garnished with the cilantro.
Sweet Potato Soup: Substitute orange-fleshed sweet potatoes for some or all of the carrots. Use apple juice instead of orange juice, and replace the ground coriander and cumin with 1 tsp sweet paprika.
Nutritional Benefits: low fat.
The soup can be made up to 2 days in advance.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
Nutritional information is based on 1/8 teaspoon added salt per serving.
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members can download new coupon offers available monthly from Kellogg's.
Members can get a FREE Donut with purchase of a L or XL beverage at Dunkin' Donuts.
Members save 20% on Wednesdays when dining at Carrabba's Italian Grill.
Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change. Join Today