Join or Renew and Choose Your Gift
- Offer ends Dec. 17
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
For a change of pace from leafy green salad, make this simple slaw for a weekend dinner. Toasting walnuts enhances their flavor, but you should use them untoasted rather than not making this delicious, colorful salad at all.
1. Using a food processor fitted with the coarse shredding blade, shred the carrots. Combine the carrots, cranberries, and walnuts in a large bowl.
2. A handful at a time, squeeze the shredded ginger into a medium bowl to extract the juice. You should have 2 tablespoons ginger juice. Add the shallot and vinegar. Gradually whisk in the oil. Pour over the carrot mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate to soften the cranberries, about 1 hour. (The salad can be made up to 2 days ahead.) Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve chilled.
To toast walnuts, preheat the oven to 350°F. Spread the walnuts on a baking sheet. Bake, stirring often, until lightly toasted and fragrant, about 10 minutes. Cool completely.
Nutritional information based on 6 servings and includes 1/8 teaspoon of added salt per serving.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members can download new coupon offers available monthly from Kellogg's.
Members can get a FREE Donut with purchase of a L or XL beverage at Dunkin' Donuts.
Members save 20% on Wednesdays when dining at Carrabba's Italian Grill.
Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change. Join Today