Join for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Photo by: Joseph De Leo
This is a very simple, family-style meal called escudella de mongetes I carbassa, which literally means “big bowl of beans and squash.” It is quite representative of traditional Catalan home cooking in that it is actually rather bland most of the flavor coming from the meat. It’s an attractive dish, and looks very white. To spice it up for contemporary American tastes, all you need to do is add freshly ground black pepper, which I have left out of the ingredients list to maintain authenticity. A tablespoon would be about right. Traditionally; a Catalan cook would throw a whole cooked or cured ham bone in the stew you can replicate the same by using a prosciutto bone.
1. Place the beans in a stew pot with the water, pork meat, prosciutto bone, bay leaf, and thyme. Bring to just below a boil, reduce the heat to very low, using a diffuser if necessary, and simmer for 30 minutes. Add the onions and pumpkin and continue cooking at a simmer until the beans are almost breaking apart and the meat is very tender, about ½ hour more.
2. When everything is tender, add the rice and salt and cook until the rice is tender, 15 to 18 minutes. Serve immediately.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members receive 20% off from 4 p.m. to 10 p.m. at participating Denny’s locations.
Members save 10% on Mondays and 10% on Weekend Lunch at Outback Steakhouse.
Members can save 10% every day at Landry's Restaurants, Inc.
Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change. Join Today