Join/Renew for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Photo by: Joseph DeLeo
For Easy-to-Chew and Soft Diets:
1. Place the margarine or butter in a 3-quart pot and melt over medium heat. Add the onion or leek, cover, and cook for several minutes, or until the vegetable starts to soften. Add the garlic and cook for 30 additional seconds.
2. Add the cauliflower, water, bouillon granules, marjoram, and pepper to the pot. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for about 10 minutes, or until the vegetables are soft.
3. Stir the evaporated milk into the soup. Purée the soup with a hand-held blender until smooth.
4. Add the cheese to the pot and, stirring constantly, cook over medium heat for a minute or 2, or just until the cheese has melted. Serve hot.
For Smooth/Puréed Diets:
Working in batches, purée the entire pot of soup in a standing blender until smooth (see Notes).
To make sure the leek is free of dirt, cut it in half lengthwise and rinse well before chopping.
Puréeing Under Pressure:
Standing blenders can allow you to purée soups to a smooth and silky consistency. Just be aware that whenever you process hot liquids in a blender, the pressure from the steam can blow the cover off, causing the hot liquid to splatter both you and your kitchen. To guard against accidents, never fill a blender more than half full with a hot liquid. If the machine has a feeder cap, crack it open slightly to allow the steam to escape. Start blending the mixture at the lowest speed, and gradually increase to higher speeds as needed to achieve the desired consistency. As an extra precaution, cover the blender lid with a towel to protect yourself in the event that the top pops off.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
Per 1-cup serving:
Carbohydrates: 12 g
Fiber: 2.3 g
Fat: 8.2 g
Sat. Fat: 3.8 g
Cholesterol: 7 mg
Protein: 9.1 g
Sodium: 425 mg
Calcium: 271 mg
Potassium: 451 mg