Join/Renew for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Recipe by: Antony Worrall Thompson | from The G.I. Diet Cookbook: More Than 100 Low Glycemic-Index Recipes for Healthy Weight LossCookstr
Photo by: Joseph De Leo
1. Cover the barley with cold water, bring to a boil, and strain. Trim the lamb of excess fat and place in a pot with 3 quarts water, the barley, carrots, celery, onions, leeks, and bay leaves. Bring to a boil, skim, reduce the heat, and simmer for 2 hours.
2. Let cool overnight, and remove any fat that forms. Remove the meat and shred into small pieces. Return the meat to the broth and add the remaining vegetables.
3. Cook for another 15 minutes until the vegetables are tender, topping up with more broth as necessary. Season with pepper and serve sprinkled with chopped parsley.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
Nutritional information is provided by the author.
Per portion: 246 cal., 8g fat, 3.5g sat, fat, 0.06g sodium, 29g carbohydrate