Join/Renew for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Photo by: Joseph De Leo
1. Cover the barley with cold water, bring to a boil, and strain. Trim the lamb of excess fat and place in a pot with 3 quarts water, the barley, carrots, celery, onions, leeks, and bay leaves. Bring to a boil, skim, reduce the heat, and simmer for 2 hours.
2. Let cool overnight, and remove any fat that forms. Remove the meat and shred into small pieces. Return the meat to the broth and add the remaining vegetables.
3. Cook for another 15 minutes until the vegetables are tender, topping up with more broth as necessary. Season with pepper and serve sprinkled with chopped parsley.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
Nutritional information is provided by the author.
Per portion: 246 cal., 8g fat, 3.5g sat, fat, 0.06g sodium, 29g carbohydrate
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members save 15% every day when dining at participating Denny's restaurants.
Members save 15% Mon-Thurs & during weekend lunch at Outback Steakhouse.
Members save 10% every day when dining at McCormick and Schmick's.
Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change. Join Today