Join for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Members can print a free Rx discount card
Thanks to the veterans who served our country
Let us know how the new health care law helps you
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
One of my favorite ways to make a meal is to boil pasta, and while it is cooking, look in the pantry to see what I have on hand to put together a sauce. It might be roasted red peppers, it might be a jar of marinara sauce and a little olive paste. Or, it might be artichoke hearts with some fresh tomatoes, as in this recipe. This dish has summer freshness because the sauce is light and does not smother the tortellini, and for that reason I think it goes nicely with grilled fish, garnished with fresh basil, of course.
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Add salt, is using, and stir in the tortellini. Reduce the heat to medium-high and cook the tortellini, uncovered, until al dente, 5 to 6 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, place the artichoke hearts with their liquid, basil, and tomatoes in a food processor. Pulse 10 times, or until the mixture has a slaw-like consistency. Stir in the capers.
3. Drain the tortellini well in a colander, shaking it a few times to remove any water that might still cling to the pasta. Transfer the tortellini to a serving bowl or serving plates. Pour the slaw over the tortellini and sprinkle the Parmesan cheese on top. Serve at once.
For a beautiful yellow color, use yellow tomatoes in the slaw. Add a little chopped yellow bell pepper for bite, and substitute another herb for the basil, if you like.
The tomato and artichoke slaw goes well with cheese ravioli, too.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members receive 20% off from 4 p.m. to 10 p.m. at participating Denny’s locations.
Members save 10% on Mondays and 10% on Weekend Lunch at Outback Steakhouse.
Members can save 10% every day at Landry's Restaurants, Inc.
Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change. Join Today