Join for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Members can print a free Rx discount card
Thanks to the veterans who served our country
Let us know how the new health care law helps you
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Photo by: Joseph DeLeo
A classic New Orleans dish made healthy. The kids at school have always asked for jambalaya because they know I'm from New Orleans. This kid-tailored version uses reduced-fat turkey kielbasa, and it's nowhere near as hot as the original. A bonus: It's great for the cook-a one-pot meal and leftovers (if you have any) are out of this world.
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Wash chicken. Pat dry with paper towels.
2. In a bowl combine the onion, celery, and bell pepper. Set vegetable mixture aside.
3. Heat oil in an ovenproof pot large enough to hold the rice and chicken until hot. Add the turkey kielbasa and cook until it begins to brown. Remove kielbasa from pot and set aside. Add the chicken pieces to pot, a few at a time, and brown on all sides.
4. Return kielbasa and all of the chicken pieces to pot. Stir in the Seasoning Mix, half of the vegetable mixture, and the garlic. Cook until the vegetables are tender but not brown. Stir in the tomato sauce. Bring to a simmer. Stir in the remaining vegetable mixture along with the chopped tomatoes. Remove pot from heat. Stir in the Basic Vegetable Stock and the uncooked rice.
5. Bake, uncovered, until chicken is cooked through and rice is tender, about 45 minutes. Remove from oven and stir.
In a small bowl combine 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme, 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage, 1 tablespoon dry mustard, 1½ teaspoons salt, 1 teaspoon paprika, ½ teaspoon black pepper, and 2 bay leaves.
Nutrition Facts per serving: 492 cal., 19 g total fat (4 g sat. fat). 89 mg chol., 1,036 mg sodium. 47 g carbo., 3 g fiber. 32 g pro.
Daily Values: 19% vit. A, 49% vit. C, 6% calcium. 24% iron
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members receive 20% off from 4 p.m. to 10 p.m. at participating Denny’s locations.
Members save 10% on Mondays and 10% on Weekend Lunch at Outback Steakhouse.
Members can save 10% every day at Landry's Restaurants, Inc.
Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change. Join Today