Join/Renew for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
This hearty soup-stew from Cajun country will have the richest flavor if you use chicken thigh meat.
1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, and green pepper and cook for 5 minutes, stirring often, until softened. Stir in the garlic.
2. Add the chicken and cook, turning frequently, about 10 minutes, or until lightly browned. Stir in the paprika, oregano, cumin, and the flour. Stir for 1 minute, then stir in the stock, tomatoes, and sausage.
3. Boil, then reduce the heat to and simmer for 20 minutes. Add the okra and simmer for 20 minutes, until the chicken is tender. Season with salt and pepper and serve hot.
Seafood Gumbo: Replace the chicken with 1lb (450g) large raw shrimp, shelled, and deveined, and add in step 3 with the okra.
Nutritional information is based on 1/8 teaspoon added salt per serving.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members save 15% every day when dining at participating Denny's restaurants.
Members save 15% Mon-Thurs & during weekend lunch at Outback Steakhouse.
Members save 10% every day when dining at McCormick and Schmick's.
Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change. Join Today