Join/Renew for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
The authentic version is made with Indonesian soy sauce, kecap manis, but Chinese or Japanese soy sauce can also be used.
1. Cut the chicken into thin strips across the grain of the meat. Spread the strips out in a shallow, nonmetallic dish.
2. In a small bowl, mix kecap manis, brown sugar, lime juice, ginger, garlic, coriander, lemongrass, cumin, salt, and 2 tsp vegetable oil. Pour over the chicken and toss to coat. Cover the dish with plastic wrap and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours.
3. To make the satay sauce, put the peanut butter with half of the garlic in a small saucepan and cook over low heat for 2 minutes. Add the coconut milk, soy sauce, brown sugar, and ginger, and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes, or until heated through.
4. Add the lemon juice and remaining garlic, and season to taste with cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper. Let the sauce cool, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate.
5. When ready to cook, thread the chicken on soaked and drained wooden skewers. In a pan over low heat, reheat the satay sauce, stirring frequently.
6. Brush the chicken with oil and broil or grill on an outdoor grill for 5 minutes, turning over once or twice, until the chicken is opaque throughout. Garnish with lime wedges and serve hot with satay sauce.
1lb 20oz (500g) beef, trimmed of any extra fat and cut into strips, then used in the recipe above, make a delicious alternative to chicken.
Prepare ahead: The marinating chicken and the sauce can be refrigerated for up to 1 day.
Caution: Soak wooden skewers in cold water for at least 1 hour to prevent them burning under the grill.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
Nutritional information is based on 1/8 teaspoon added salt per serving.
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members save 15% every day when dining at participating Denny's restaurants.
Members save 15% Mon-Thurs & during weekend lunch at Outback Steakhouse.
Members save 10% every day when dining at McCormick and Schmick's.
Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change. Join Today