Join for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Photo by: Joseph DeLeo
Meet your new barbecue sauce! You’ll adore the combination of sweet raisins, earthy cumin, and tangy jalapeno pepper. Serve this with Toasted Coconut Rice. If using wooden skewers, soak them for at least 20 minutes before using to prevent scorching.
1. Coat a stovetop grill pan or griddle with cooking spray and set over medium-high heat.
2. Meanwhile, thread alternating pieces of chicken and zucchini onto the skewers. Brush them with the oil and season with salt and pepper. Place the skewers on the hot grill pan and cook until the chicken is cooked through, 5 to 7 minutes total, turning frequently.
3. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the spicy ketchup ingredients. Set the pan over medium heat, bring to a simmer, and continue to simmer until the raisins plump up, about 5 minutes.
4. Serve the spicy ketchup alongside the skewers for dunking.
Make it a meal kit: Assemble the skewers as directed. Make the spicy ketchup. Store each separately in sealable containers or plastic bags for up to 3 days in the refrigerator or up to 3 months in the freezer. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator or in the microwave for 5 minutes on LOW. When ready to finish the meal, cook the skewers as directed. Reheat the sauce on the stovetop in a small saucepan over medium heat or in the microwave for a few minutes on HIGH.
Morph it: Make a double batch of the ketchup and use it as a fantastic barbecue sauce for flank steak and turkey tenderloin (for a smooth sauce, purée it in a blender or food processor). Store the extra ketchup in a sealable container for up to 7 days in the refrigerator or up to 3 months in the freezer. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator or in the microwave for 3 minutes on LOW.
Have it your way: Instead of chicken, try medium shrimp (peeled and deveined), scallops, or cubed steak; instead of zucchini, use sliced red onion, cremini mushrooms, and/or sliced bell peppers.
Nutritional information includes 1/8 teaspoon of added salt per serving.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members can get a FREE Donut with purchase of a L or XL beverage at Dunkin’ Donuts.
Members save 10% on Wednesdays when dining at Carrabba’s Italian Grill.
Members can download new coupon offers available monthly from Kellogg's.
Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change. Join Today