Join/Renew for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Nothing has been viewed
Photo by: Joseph De Leo
This is one of the easiest and most delicious chicken soups to make. Just like the mythical chicken soups of other cultures, this soup is good for restoring one’s health. By the time we got to Irosin, our photographer, Neal, was very sick and debilitated. I asked the kitchen staff to make a chicken tinola with lots of ginger, green papaya, chile, and malunggay leaves; within a few hours Neal was back on his feet.
1. In a large saucepan over medium heat, warm the oil. Add the onions, ginger, and garlic and sauté until softened, about 5 minutes.
2. Add the chicken pieces and fish sauce and cook, stirring, until the chicken is well coated with oil, 1 to 2 minutes. Add 8 cups of water, raise the heat, and bring to boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, adding the papaya when the chicken is almost tender, 30 to 40 minutes total. Stir in the sili and malunggay leaves, if using. Cook until heated through and wilted if fresh. Season with fish sauce, to taste.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
This recipe serves 6.
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members save 15% all day, every day when dining at participating Denny's restaurants.
Members get a FREE Donut with purchase of a L or XL beverage at Dunkin' Donuts.
Members can locate discounts via the AARP® Member Advantages Offer Finder mobile app.
Join or renew today! Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change.