Join/Renew for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Photo by: Joseph De Leo
Most fruit soups I try I’d rather have for dessert than for a first or main course. This soup is different; it has a slight sweetness, but most of the presiding flavors, including onion, curry, and cilantro, are savory. Because the “cream” in this soup is really yogurt, this dish is deceptively low in fat and calories.
1. In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions. Cook them, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes or until they soften. Add the curry and the ginger, and cook another 5 minutes, letting the onions brown along the edges.
2. Add the mango flesh to the cooked onions. Add the water and orange juice, and let the mixture simmer for 15 minutes.
3. Purée the mixture in a food processor or blender, in batches if necessary. Then pass the purée through a sieve into a bowl, pressing with a rubber spatula or spoon to extract all the liquid.
4. Stir in the yogurt, salt, pepper, and cilantro. Chill the soup for at least 1 hour, preferably 2.
5. To serve, fancifully squirt or lightly spoon hot sauce on top of each bowl of soup. Accompany each serving with a wedge of lime, and urge your friends to squeeze the lime into the soup.
Tuong chile sauce is available in Southeast Asian and Chinese markets, and in some supermarkets as well.
Nutritional information does not include curry powder. For nutritional information on curry powder, please follow the link above.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members save 15% every day when dining at participating Denny's restaurants.
Members save 15% Mon-Thurs & during weekend lunch at Outback Steakhouse.
Members save 10% every day when dining at McCormick and Schmick's.
Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change. Join Today