Join/Renew for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Nothing has been viewed
Photo by: Joey DeLeo
An ideal dish for a hot day, these noodles and tofu are cool, light, and refreshing. The sauce can also be used for tofu, either cooked or raw, without the noodles. Adding a tablespoon of peanut butter or tahini makes it a little more substantial, and adding ½ teaspoon of chile oil makes it a little more piquant. For tofu, I especially like the water-packed soft and silken tofu, such as that made by Azumaya.
1. Cook the noodles in boiling water until tender but still retain a bite, about 6 to 8 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water to stop the cooking. Shake off the excess water. (If you’re cooking them ahead of time, refrigerate.) Toast the sesame seeds in a dry skillet over medium heat until fragrant, then transfer to a dish and set aside. Carefully open the tofu and turn it onto a cutting board to drain while you make the sauce.
2. Combine the ingredients for the sauce in a bowl. Taste to make sure the balance is the way you like it. It may seem salty, but remember that it’s going on tofu.
3. Toss the noodles with half the scallions and sesame seeds, then divide among four plates. Make a little depression in the center. Dice the tofu into ½ inch cubes and set them in the center of the noodles. Spoon the sauce over the tofu and the noodles, then sprinkle with the remaining scallions and sesame seeds. Serve.
Nutritional information is based on 4 servings.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members save 15% all day, every day when dining at participating Denny's restaurants.
Members get a FREE Donut with purchase of a L or XL beverage at Dunkin' Donuts.
Members can locate discounts via the AARP® Member Advantages Offer Finder mobile app.
Join or renew today! Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change.