Join/Renew for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Photo by: Joseph De Leo
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C. Grease an 8-inch (20-cm) baking pan with coconut oil.
2. While the oven is preheating, steam the beet on the stovetop until it can be easily pierced with a fork. Once the beet is done, puree it in a food processor with the milk, banana, cocoa or cacao powder, sugar, and vanilla extract.
3. Sift the flour and baking powder together in a bowl.
4. Fold the wet ingredients into the dry, and stir in the walnuts (if using).
5. Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan and bake for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Let cool, then serve.
Power Boost: Add a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar to the wet ingredients.
Time Saver: Microwave the beet until it is soft, and then dice.
Money Saver: Use raw sugar instead of Sucanat.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
Nutritional information is based on 8 servings.