Photo by: Joseph DeLeo
When we launched MealMakeoverMoms.com in 2004, this was one of the first recipes we created for the site. Since then, we have sampled it at book signings, delivered it to new neighbors, and served it to kids at more play dates than we can count. Bottom line: this recipe is always a winner! And thanks to the canned pumpkin, each serving has almost half a day’s worth of vitamin A.
Yield: Makes 30 Bars
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup pecans, very finely chopped
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 1 15-ounce can 100% pure pumpkin
- ½ cup canola oil
- ¼ cup 1% low-fat milk
- ½ cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly oil or coat a 15 x 10 x 1-Inch rimmed baking or jelly roll pan with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
2. Whisk together the all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, pecans, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl until well combined.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs, pumpkin, oil, and milk until well blended. Pour the liquid ingredients over the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.
4. Spread the batter evenly in the prepared pan and bake for 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Transfer the pan to a wire rack and cool for 10 minutes before slicing into thirty 2 x 2½-inch bars.
For maximum freshness, store leftovers in a plastic container or zip-top bag in the refrigerator
© 2011 Liz Weiss and Janice Newell Bissex
My oldest son doesn’t like nuts, so I chopped the pecans really fine in my small food processor. If he can’t find the pieces he doesn’t complain. I got two “Yummies” and “Can I have another piece?” from my boys, which is their version of high praise.
Wanda, mother of lan, age 8 and Eric, age 11- Windham, NH
Per Serving (1 bar):
140 calories, 8g fat (1g saturated, O.4g omega-3), 95mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate, 2g fiber, 2g protein, 45% vitamin A