Join or Renew and Choose Your Gift
- Offer ends Dec. 17
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Photo by: Joseph DeLeo
When we launched MealMakeoverMoms.com in 2004, this was one of the first recipes we created for the site. Since then, we have sampled it at book signings, delivered it to new neighbors, and served it to kids at more play dates than we can count. Bottom line: this recipe is always a winner! And thanks to the canned pumpkin, each serving has almost half a day’s worth of vitamin A.
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly oil or coat a 15 x 10 x 1-Inch rimmed baking or jelly roll pan with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
2. Whisk together the all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, pecans, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl until well combined.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs, pumpkin, oil, and milk until well blended. Pour the liquid ingredients over the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.
4. Spread the batter evenly in the prepared pan and bake for 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Transfer the pan to a wire rack and cool for 10 minutes before slicing into thirty 2 x 2½-inch bars.
For maximum freshness, store leftovers in a plastic container or zip-top bag in the refrigerator
My oldest son doesn’t like nuts, so I chopped the pecans really fine in my small food processor. If he can’t find the pieces he doesn’t complain. I got two “Yummies” and “Can I have another piece?” from my boys, which is their version of high praise.
Wanda, mother of lan, age 8 and Eric, age 11- Windham, NH
Per Serving (1 bar):
140 calories, 8g fat (1g saturated, O.4g omega-3), 95mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate, 2g fiber, 2g protein, 45% vitamin A
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members can download new coupon offers available monthly from Kellogg's.
Members can get a FREE Donut with purchase of a L or XL beverage at Dunkin' Donuts.
Members save 20% on Wednesdays when dining at Carrabba's Italian Grill.
Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change. Join Today