Join/Renew for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Nothing has been viewed
Photo by: Joseph De Leo
The mingling of seafood and vegetables in a tangy broth opens up the senses and restores the soul. To turn this broth into an Asian-style soup/meal, serve it over jasmine rice.
1. Bring the stock, lemon grass, red pepper, shallot, and scallions to a boil in a large nonreactive pot. Reduce the heat and simmer, skimming any foam from the surface, for 30 minutes.
2. Scrub the clams under cold running water. Rinse the bok choy, shake dry, and trim off the white ends. Slice crosswise into ¼-inch-wide ribbons. Leave straw mushrooms or honshimeji whole but stem, then slice shiitake caps, if using, ¼-inch thick. Trim the stem ends off the enoki and separate the clusters. Core the tomato, remove the seeds, and cut the pulp into ¼-inch strips.
3. Remove the lemon grass bundle from the broth. Bring broth back to a boil. Add the clams and straw mushrooms, cover, and reduce the heat to medium. Steam the clams until they open, about 3 minutes. Stir often to give all the clams a chance to open. Any that do not open should be discarded.
4. Stir in the bok choy, and cook over medium heat, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in the enoki, and cook for 1 minute. Add the tomato strips. Season to taste with salt, top with the cilantro leaves, arid serve.
Variation: To serve over jasmine rice, spoon about 1 cup cooked jasmine rice into each of 2 bowls. Transfer the soup solids with a slotted spoon, top each serving with cilantro leaves, and spoon the broth over all.
Nutritional includes 1 teaspoon of added salt. Nutritional information does not include Light Chicken Stock. For nutritional information on Light Chicken Stock, please follow the link above.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members save 15% all day, every day when dining at participating Denny's restaurants.
Members get a FREE Donut with purchase of a L or XL beverage at Dunkin' Donuts.
Members can locate discounts via the AARP® Member Advantages Offer Finder mobile app.
Join or renew today! Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change.