Join/Renew for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Nothing has been viewed
Photo by: Joseph DeLeo
Shellfish with bacon is a classic combination. The sensation of salty, briny clams with slightly sweet pancetta is one of my favorites. In this dish roasted tomatoes are added to clams and bacon to create a hearty, rustic stew. This dish is good served with hearty bread, or over linguine. Substitute arugula if you can’t find mustard greens.
1. Place the pancetta in a pot large enough to hold the clams. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until the pancetta is crisp, about 15 minutes. Remove the pancetta with a slotted spoon and drain on a plate lined with paper towels.
2. Discard all but about 2 tablespoons of fat. Increase the heat to medium and add the garlic and shallot. Cook, stirring occasionally, until fragrant, about 2 minutes, then add the roasted tomatoes. Cook about 1 minute. Add the wine and allow it to reduce until the pan is almost dry, about 3 minutes.
3. Add the clams and ¼ cup water. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the clams open, about 10 minutes. Remove the lid and stir in the greens. Cook just until the greens are wilted, about 3 minutes. Divide the clams, greens, and broth among 4 shallow bowls. Top with pancetta, drizzle with olive oil, and serve.
Nutritional information is based on using 3 tablespoons olive oil and does not include Roasted Tomato Halves. For nutritional information on Roasted Tomato Halves, please follow the link above.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members save 15% all day, every day when dining at participating Denny's restaurants.
Members get a FREE Donut with purchase of a L or XL beverage at Dunkin' Donuts.
Members can locate discounts via the AARP® Member Advantages Offer Finder mobile app.
Join or renew today! Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change.