Join/Renew for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Nothing has been viewed
Photo by: Mark Shapiro
Put your microwave oven to good use when preparing vegetables to serve a crowd. Arrange vegetables in dish, ready to pop in the microwave shortly before serving. Serve almond butter with other steamed vegetables, such as Brussels sprouts.
1. In baking dish or platter, alternately arrange cauliflower and broccoli, with broccoli stalks toward the outside, around outer edge of dish. Mound pepper cubes in center. Add 1/3 cup (75 mL) water. Cover with lid or plastic wrap and turn back one corner to vent. Microwave on High for 6 to 9 minutes or until vegetables are tender-crisp. Let stand, covered, while preparing topping.
2. Topping: In a small microwave-safe glass bowl, combine 2 tbsp (25 mL) of the butter and almonds. Microwave, uncovered, on High for 1 ½ to 3 minutes or until almonds are lightly toasted, stirring twice. (Can be done up to 4 hours ahead, if desired.)
3. Just before serving, add remaining butter and garlic to toasted almonds. Microwave, uncovered, on High for 45 to 60 seconds or until fragrant. Stir in lemon juice. Carefully drain water from vegetables (a plate set on top will hold vegetables in place).
4. Pour almond butter over top. Sprinkle with parsley. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.
Substitute partially cooked carrots for the pepper cubes, if desired. To prepare, place 3 cups (750 mL) thinly sliced carrots and ¼ cup (50 mL) water in a casserole dish. Microwave, covered, on High for 2 to 4 minutes or until crisp. Drain and continue with recipe as directed.
Test first to see if dish called for fits comfortably in your microwave oven. If not, divide vegetable mixture among two 9-inch (23 cm) microwave-safe pie plates. Cover with inverted plate or plastic wrap with one corner turned back to vent. Microwave each plate on High for 4 to 6 minutes.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
Nutritional information is based on 8 servings and 1/8 teaspoon added salt per serving.
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members save 15% all day, every day when dining at participating Denny's restaurants.
Members get a FREE Donut with purchase of a L or XL beverage at Dunkin' Donuts.
Members can locate discounts via the AARP® Member Advantages Offer Finder mobile app.
Join or renew today! Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change.