Join/Renew for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Nothing has been viewed
Saffron gives these fruit buns a light golden color and a subtle spicy flavor. Good with butter.
1. Preheat the oven to 275°F (140°C). Place the saffron in a small baking dish. Bake for 10–15 minutes to toast the saffron. Let cool, then crumble to a fine powder. Stir into the boiling water and let stand about 1 hour, or overnight.
2. Sift the flour and salt into a large bowl. Add the butter and rub it in with your fingertips until the mixture resembles coarse bread crumbs. Stir in the sugar and yeast. Beat together the milk, ½ cup water, egg, and dissolved saffron. Add to the flour mixture and stir to make a soft dough.
3. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 8–10 minutes, or until smooth and elastic. Knead in the currants.
4. Divide the dough into 12 pieces. Shape each piece into a ball and flatten slightly. Place the balls on an oiled baking sheet. Cover loosely with lightly oiled plastic wrap. Let stand in a warm place for 30–40 minutes, or until they have doubled in size.
5. Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C). Bake in the upper third of the oven for 15–20 minutes, or until the buns are light gold and sound hollow when tapped on the bottom. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool. Serve warm or cold.
Freezing Information: Freeze for up to 3 months.
Leftovers can be allowed to go a little stale, then be used as a base for a trifle or in place of bread in a stuffing.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members save 15% all day, every day when dining at participating Denny's restaurants.
Members get a FREE Donut with purchase of a L or XL beverage at Dunkin' Donuts.
Members can locate discounts via the AARP® Member Advantages Offer Finder mobile app.
Join or renew today! Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change.