Join for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Freshly baked cornbread is so easy to prepare that there seems to be no real reason for the packaged stuff to exist. And, especially if you are making a cornbread stuffing for a holiday turkey, the boxed mix is too sweet. This sweet-and-savory quick bread works on its own to fill out a menu, or as the basis of a great dressing to fill your bird. If you like your cornbread on the sweet side, use the sugar, but use unsweetened cornbread for a stuffing.
1. Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 400°F.
2. Whisk together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, if using, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl and make a well in the center.
3. Place the butter in an 8-inch square baking dish and place in the oven to melt the butter and heat the dish, about 3 minutes.
4. Whisk together the milk and egg in a small bowl. Whisk the melted butter from the baking dish into the milk mixture. Pour into the well in the dry ingredients and stir just until blended; a few lumps may remain. Do not overmix. Fold in the cranberries and sage. Spread evenly in the hot baking dish and return to the oven.
5. Bake until golden brown and the top of the bread springs back when pressed in the center, about 20 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes, then cut into squares to serve hot or warm.
Cranberry and Sage Cornbread for Stuffing: Double the ingredients, leave out the sugar, and bake in a 15 × 10-inch baking dish for about 25 minutes.
Nutritional information is based on 8 servings, and does not include optional sugar.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members receive 20% off from 4 p.m. to 10 p.m. at participating Denny’s locations.
Members save 10% on Mondays and 10% on Weekend Lunch at Outback Steakhouse.
Members can save 10% every day at Landry's Restaurants, Inc.
Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change. Join Today