Join for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Turn to these moist, chewy bars when you want the perfect snack. The dried cranberries add a tangy note that makes them really satisfying on their own or with a cup of tea or coffee.
1. Set a rack in the middle level of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees.
2. Stir the oats, flour, pecans, cranberries, and baking soda together in a bowl.
3. In a large mixing bowl, beat together the butter and brown sugar with a large rubber spatula. Beat in the egg, then the applesauce, cinnamon, and ginger.
4. Stir in the dry ingredients and scrape the batter into the prepared pan. Smooth the top.
5. Bake the bars for about 25 minutes, or until they are firm when pressed with a fingertip.
6. Cool in the pan on a rack.
7. Invert to a cutting board and peel off the paper.
8. Use a ruler to cut into 2-inch bars.
STORAGE: Keep the bars between sheets of wax paper in a tin or plastic container with a tight-fitting cover.
Nutritional information is provided by the author.
Per bar: 163 calories, 7 g total fat (39% of calories), 2 g saturated fat, 3 g protein, 24 g carbohydrates, 2 g fiber, 14 mg cholesterol, 60 mg sodium
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members receive 20% off from 4 p.m. to 10 p.m. at participating Denny’s locations.
Members save 10% on Mondays and 10% on Weekend Lunch at Outback Steakhouse.
Members can save 10% every day at Landry's Restaurants, Inc.
Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change. Join Today