Join/Renew for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Nothing has been viewed
Photo by: Colin Erricson
I love the combination of textures and flavors in this old-fashioned favorite. When cranberries are in season, I always freeze a bag or two so I can make this wholesome dessert year-round. It’s a great way to use up day-old bread.
1. In a bowl, combine bread crumbs and butter. Set aside.
2. In a separate bowl, combine pears, lemon juice, cranberries and brown sugar.
3. In a greased slow cooker stoneware, spread one-third of the bread crumb mixture. Layer half of the pear mixture over top. Repeat. Finish with a layer of crumbs and pour cranberry cocktail over top. Cover and cook on High for 4 hours, until fruit is tender and mixture is hot and bubbly.
Works best in a small (3½ quart) slow cooker
To make dried bread crumbs for this recipe, toast 4 slices of whole wheat bread. Tear into pieces and process in a food processor fitted with a metal blade until finely ground. Use a light-tasting whole wheat loaf for this recipe. Those with heavy molasses content will overpower the fruit.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members save 15% all day, every day when dining at participating Denny's restaurants.
Members get a FREE Donut with purchase of a L or XL beverage at Dunkin' Donuts.
Members can locate discounts via the AARP® Member Advantages Offer Finder mobile app.
Join or renew today! Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change.