Join/Renew for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Nothing has been viewed
A vibrant harvest soup, this is perfect served with a spoonful of yogurt, if tolerated, and a grating of fresh nutmeg.
1. In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Cook onion and garlic, covered, until onion is softened, about 5 minutes. Add bay leaf, carrots and chicken stock. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium, cover and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes, or until carrots are very tender. Discard bay leaf.
2. In a blender or food processor, purée soup in batches. Stir in milk, salt, nutmeg and pepper. Taste and add more salt if necessary.
Cream of Butternut Squash Soup: Substitute 4 cups (1 L) cubed peeled butternut squash (fresh or frozen) for the carrots.
This soup is quite thick. If you prefer a thinner soup, simply add more fortified soy milk or lactose-free milk.
Make Ahead: Ladle into an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 2 days or in the freezer for up to 2 months.
Nutritional information is provided by the author.
Nutritional value Per serving (1 cup/250 mL)
Dietary Fiber (a high source) 4g
Calcium (a source) 69 mg
Percent of calories from
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members save 15% all day, every day when dining at participating Denny's restaurants.
Members get a FREE Donut with purchase of a L or XL beverage at Dunkin' Donuts.
Members can locate discounts via the AARP® Member Advantages Offer Finder mobile app.
Join or renew today! Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change.